Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lessons Learned

This little "bantie" keeps trying to hatch the eggs, we have to practically pick her up off the eggs to gather them.

Two more make a dozen!

We bought chickens this last summer and it has been a great investment. Tyler and I wanted some chores for the kids to do, to give them some responsibility. Peyton has enjoyed it and actually sells the eggs he gathers. He has made a little profit from it. And the other day he came in and said, "mom I got ten eggs today, and I only need two more to make twelve." And I just kind of nodded not really thinking about it. And then I realized that he performed a math skill, I didn't know he could do. Just from gathering eggs and filling cartons, he knows how many eggs he gets and how many makes a dozen. And then I started thinking how valuable these chickens have really been. Peyton has had to deal with some of life's hardest lessons, two of his chickens have died (one from our dog killing it, and one from old age?), which was hard on him. He has learned responsibility with feeding them and taking care of them (it is so funny when those chickens see Peyton coming to their coop, they know he is bringing them so grub). He has learned how to save money and to also pay tithing on that money (he doesn't get to spend his money, it goes right to the bank). And he gets so excited to when he gets to pay his own tithing. Yeah we may have a funny farm here, but these are lessons in life that are priceless and ones he will never forget!

3 comments:

Ellis Famiy said...

I love what you wrote about peyton and the chickens! What a smart boy!

Ellis Famiy said...

oops, this is really kristen and not my mom. I forgot I was still signed on to her name (i was helping her) sorry!

Lindsay said...

Melissa - that's so sweet! I'll try to come by your blog more often, but I'll probably never catch up. You are much better at keeping it up than us!