Thursday, October 1, 2009

Lasik Eye Surgery

Tyler finally talked me into getting Lasik eye surgery after at least of year of trying to persuade me to do it. I hate things like this. I mean, I have never even had any stitiches much less surgery! Anyways, since I have been having volleyball practices, I realized how blind I really am. I mean when you can't even see the ball until it almost hits you in the face, then that is pretty bad. Anyways, so I went in on Friday morning to go and have the procedure. It really was not as bad as I was expecting. I guess I was expecting scary looking instruments and a lot of poking my eyeballs. But it was not anything like that. It was all done with a laser and the doctor did have some tweezer looking things in his hand, but they gave me a Valium and I did not care in the least bit what they were doing. I remember smelling a burning smell and thinking, "That's cool." Thats how doped up I was, it was so nice. Tyler did a great job of taking care of me. He said he felt like he was taking care of a newborn. I had to keep my eyes closed for about four hours after the surgery and Tyler had to put about 3 different drops in my eyes every 30 minutes. We had left the kids with Robbie and my in-laws (Thanks so much!) so it was very relaxing, being able to sleep ALL DAY. That night we did do a little bit of shopping and went and ate at the Olive Garden. I felt dumb wearing sunglasses at night, but my eyes were too scary. Tyler had to leave on Saturday so we were just praying that nothing would go wrong with the healing process. I had to sleep every night with shields on my eyes, so I wouldn't roll on my side and wrinkle the flap of my eye. I have had to keep drops in my eyes every hour and a couple of drops four times a day. I can't rub or touch my eyes at all and I couldn't wear eye makeup. But it was sooo worth it. I never realized how blind I really was until now. I can actually see people from a distance and know who they are. I can read road signs even though they are further than two feet in front of me. When I went back in for my check-up they tested my vision and I have better than 20/20 vision right now. I am like a superhero or something! J/K

2 comments:

Katheryn said...

I have been wanting to do this for a while now. I'm so jealous! No really, I'm so happy for you. I know it must feel amazing to be able to see perfectly!

B said...

jon told me you were having that done. i am so jealous b/c i acutally can't have it done. my eyes are too bad for it. so feel blessed that you were not so blind that the surgery was still an option. but a huge congrats on a successful surgery from a very envious friend. :0)